One of the main conditions for planting many vegetable crops in open ground is good illumination. Cabbage is no exception. However, intense sunlight can damage the plant, resulting in burns on the leaves. Only one way out - you need to find a place with partial shading.
Can I plant cabbage in the shade?
In order to ensure normal conditions for the growing season, it is recommended to find out which crops in the shade will develop well. For example, cabbage, albino or color species, unlike corn and eggplant, feels great in shading under fruit trees when it comes to the southern regions. Yes, and at a lower temperature, the plant responds positively. The shoots make their way to the surface of the soil at a rate of only + 3 ° C, although the best development of shoots occurs at + 20 ° C. But the temperature above +25 degrees negatively affects the yield and quality of fruits, the lower sheets fall off, and the upper tissues become very dense. Therefore, partial shade is considered a necessity at a stable high temperature. In temperate climates, it is necessary to plant in areas open to sunlight, in the shade the plant spends a lot of energy on development, which is manifested in a slight inhibition of growth.In the shadow of the head is tied badly
Where better to plant?
It is better to plan a bed for cabbage at the place of cultivation of cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and legumes last season. And after beets, turnips and radishes, you should not plant cabbage seedlings. As neighbors, she loves legumes (peas, beans), tomatoes, beets, onions, garlic. It is recommended to have beds from east to west, a small shadow is allowed.
Most popular varieties, planting dates
The choice of cabbage seedlings is quite large, but there are time-tested varieties that are distinguished by good yield and resistance to adverse weather conditions, especially in early spring. The leaders in popularity are:
- Glory - average ripening time, head weight from 2 to 4.5 kg, diameter about 25 cm, yield from 1 m2 up to 12 kg;
- Moscow late - ripening period up to 150 days, the average weight of the fruit is 7 kg, the yield from 1 m2 is up to 15 kg;
- June - matures in 90-120 days, the average weight of the head is 2.5 kg, the yield is 7 kg per 1 m2;
- Present - heads of cabbage ripen in 120-135 days, the average head weight is up to 3.5 kg, the yield from 1 m2 is up to 10 kg;
- Amager - the aging period is up to 140 days, the average head weight is 3-3.5 kg, up to 7 kg of crop is removed from 1 m2.
Rules for planting in open groundSeed Cabbage Seeds
Bookmark future harvest makes the right landing. When performing work, it is worth considering the main factors affecting the vegetation of the plant and fruiting.
The right choice of seedlings
For planting in the open ground, seedlings that reach 12-20 cm in height with 5-7 leaflets are selected. Usually seedlings reach such parameters by early May (early varieties), if sown at the end of March. Growing the seedlings themselves is not difficult, the main thing is to ensure the temperature and good lighting (at least 12-15 hours a day).
When buying cabbage seedlings, preference is given to shoots with a well-developed root system.
What kind of soil does a vegetable love?Soil preparation for planting cabbage
Plot under the bed is chosen taking into account the rules of crop rotation and neighborhood with other cultures. Preparations begin in the fall. First, a thorough cleaning is done, removing plant residues from the soil, then fertilizer is introduced (organic matter or mineral substances), and at the same time they dig up the earth to a depth of at least a spade. As soon as the snow melts, the future garden beds need to be sealed so that the moisture does not evaporate quickly. For this, the ground is leveled with a rake (harrowing).
Immediately before sowing, the bed is re-digged and harrowed.
Landing, time, pattern and distance
Before planting, the roots of seedlings are recommended to be treated with a talker, which is made of water, clay and mullein. The resulting layer between the root system and the ground will be a protection against rotting. In addition, it contributes to the rapid survival of seedlings in a new place.
Deep holes are prepared for each root. An additional cavity is needed to fill the mixture, which consists of:
- 500 gr. humus (compost);
- 1 tsp superphosphate (nitrophosphate);
- Art. l wood ash.
All components are mixed thoroughly with the soil and poured into prepared wells, then poured with water. Seedlings buried in the ground to the first true leaf. When planting the roots should be well pressed with the ground so that after watering or rain the plant is not washed out of the soil. Distances and hole pattern:
- early varieties - 50-60 cm between rows, 30-35 in a row;
- mid-season and late varieties - 60-70 cm between rows, 50-60 cm in a row.
Some varieties require more space, such as the Moscow Late 15, which is planted according to the 70x70 cm scheme.Planting cabbage in rassadnym way, simple scheme
After planting the beds with cabbage, it is desirable to mulch with a mixture of peat and humus or one of the components (layer thickness 1-2 cm). Work better in the evening or in cloudy weather.
Departure after landing
From the first day after disembarkation, you can begin to care for the beds.
Watering, without it, nothing will grow
Cabbage is demanding of moisture, so the watering regime should strictly observe. Irrigation is carried out at intervals of 4-6 days in the evening or in cloudy weather.. If you water the plants in the sultry heat, the seedlings will wither from the scorching sun. With a stable high temperature should increase the regularity of watering up to 1 time in 2-3 days.
After irrigation, it is recommended to loosen the soil to prevent its consolidation. So the roots will be more comfortable to develop. The surface of the beds is better to mulch, and the moisture in the soil will last longer, and the growth of weeds will not be so intense. A layer of peat mulch is 5 cm.
Top dressing for harvestTop dressing of cabbage with organic and mineral fertilizers
When the transplanted seedlings grow into leaves, the soil is fed with a solution of ammonium nitrate (10 g. Funds for a bucket of water). At the stage of the formation of leaves in the head are injected feed: 4 grams per bucket of water. urea, 8 gr. potassium sulfate and 5 gr. double superphosphate.
Weeding and loosening
During the season about 3-4 weeding and the same loosening is carried out. It is better to combine this work and carry out after watering, when the soil softens, and the risk of disrupting the young shoots is reduced to zero.
So that weeds do not bother with their presence, it is recommended to cover the cleaned beds with a layer of peat or humus.
After planting seedlings spend dusting the beds of wood ash. It prevents the invasion of the plant of fleas and slugs. The effect of processing will increase if tobacco dust is added to the ashes.
Spraying procedures from the infusion of onion peel, tomato tops, tar tar soap solution will save the cabbage from other no less dangerous pests.
Undoubtedly, diseases and pests are the main enemies of the harvest, but errors made by inexperienced gardeners when planting cabbage can also affect it. Among the typical are the following.
- Cabbage will be of poor quality (almost without a head of cabbage), if you plant it in the shade, where there is no sun at all. Allowed to land near tall crops with only partial shading.
- Novice gardeners begin planting in unprepared soil. A good harvest is not obtained unless you pre-enrich the soil with organic matter and minerals. Cabbage reacts very positively to organic fertilizers, which are introduced during the preparation of the beds and with regular dressings.
- For seeding can not use all the seeds. Sow should only be sorted and processed. This will increase the germination rate and strengthen the immunity of young shoots.
- When growing seedlings, some gardeners use small cups. In such a container to create drainage is almost impossible, and the root system will develop closely. To get strong seedlings, it is recommended to use peat or plastic pots with a volume of at least 250 ml for 2-3 seeds.
- Often when transplanting seedlings into open ground, there is a long period of survival in a new place. This error, most likely, signals an altered deadline. It is worth doing the work earlier for a couple of weeks, or later, the leaves on the shoot begin to turn pale and even fade. The recovery period of the plant is delayed, and with it the development of cabbage. Do it right and you will harvestWhen sowing seeds should pay attention to the depth of their immersion in the soil. When germinating from deep grooves, the plant spends all its strength, resulting in a weak seedling, prone to disease.
Growing vegetables in your own plot is an exciting activity, giving you the opportunity to accumulate your own work. However, do not experiment with the rules of care, otherwise you can be left without a crop.