Fans of cucumber probably know that it is not only pleasant to the taste, but also very useful. Its main properties are the removal of toxins from the body and a huge fiber content. This article describes the characteristics of one of the types of cucumbers, namely the variety "artist".
Description and characteristics of the variety
- Early hybrid "artist" bred in Holland;
- Suitable for growing in open ground and in greenhouses;
- The fruits have a cylindrical shape, reaching no more than 10 centimeters and 110 grams;
- The first harvest, the maximum mass of which can reach 8.5 kilograms, is harvested after 1.5 months;
- The rind of a cucumber is medium-celiac, thin;
- The fruit is sweet enough, crisp, without bitterness and pleasant aroma.
The advantages and disadvantages of cucumbers Artist
The main advantages of the variety "artist" include the following properties:
- Good dew resistance;
- High yield;
- Nice appearance;
- Good taste;
- Suitable for both fresh and canned;
- Resistant to cladosporia and PTO;
- Cultivation is possible, both in open ground and in greenhouses.
Origin of the variety
This hybrid is derived in Holland by Bejo Zaden. The first description in the State Register appeared in 2010. Perhaps it is the Dutch cucumber varieties that are especially popular. And of course there are reasons for this. The fruits do not have bitterness and are resistant to various diseases and viruses. Variety "artist" is no exception and has the same properties.
Requirements for soil for planting
Vegetable prefers fertile, loose soil with weak acidity. Ideally, prepare it for next year in the fall. To do this, it is necessary to dig, fertilize and, if possible, treat it from weeds.
With the onset of spring, the soil is again dug up, and its upper layer is mixed with humus.Add ash to the soil
Tips and requirements:
- Seeds do not need to be steamed;
- Sowing seedlings produced in April - May;
- It is possible to plant on beds at the beginning of June, by this time about 4 leaves should appear at the plant;
- If the seeds are planted directly into the ground, then it is advisable to do it in May according to the scheme of 35 * 65 centimeters;
- It is not recommended to plant a vegetable in those places where zucchini, pumpkins and cucumbers of other varieties were previously grown;
- This variety is particularly happy to accept all sorts of fertilizers and fertilizing;
- Get rid of all weeds before planting;
- It is best to plant this vegetable in well-lit places, and not in the shade;
- When growing seedlings you need to periodically check it in order not to allow it to stretch too much;
Grade care after planting
It is recommended to mulch the bed surface to prevent excessive evaporation. For this perfect hay, sawdust, and even dry humus. Conducting this kind of manipulation for some time, you can stop loosening the earth. To facilitate the care of cucumbers and their collection, the trellis method of cultivation (creation of a support) is suitable.Bushes varieties cucumber artist
It is also worth noting that timely harvesting favorably affects its quantity. It is best to do this early in the morning.
Disease and Prevention
When growing cucumbers "artist" can be faced with the following diseases:
Manifested as a white spot on the leafy part of the plant. May occur as a result of high humidity, frequent temperature changes and a large number of weeds. The problem can be repeated from year to year if the landing site is not changed.
To combat powdery mildew it is recommended:
- When infected sheets are detected, they must be torn down and destroyed;
- If the timely removal of the painful part of the cucumbers did not help, it is advisable to treat them with ground sulfur powder (25 g per 10 m2) or mullein;
- To prevent the disease, next year it is necessary to thoroughly dig the soil and completely destroy the remains of the plant;
- Increase the frequency of feeding with potassium;
- Spider mite on cucumbers
- Olive spotting
- Mealy dew on the leaves of cucumber
Fruits are covered with small watery spots, the skin is cracking, and the ovaries of cucumbers are dying. The disease spreads by air, so it can easily appear during rain or watering.
Struggle and prevention:
- When growing greenhouse, monitor the humidity of the air;
- Processing plants Bordeaux mixture (15% solution);
- Top dressing with potassium sulfate.
Dwells on the back of the leaves. This insect is considered especially dangerous for cucumbers growing in a greenhouse. The mite damages the plant, it is woven over with a web, which inevitably leads to the death of the crop.
Fight and Prevention:
- Detailed study of irrigation rules;
- Timely cleaning and disinfection of the soil;
- Processing tincture of garlic or onions (200 grams of husk per 10 liters of water);
- Planting dill next to cucumbers can be an effective way to fight some insects, since its presence implies the appearance of ladybirds.
Features care for the variety
- The first fertilizer subcortex is carried out after the appearance of several leaflets in the plant;
- At temperatures above 30 ° C greens are not formed, as there is no pollination;
- Cucumber "artist" loves warm water, but with it you need to be careful and not to abuse;
- Mineral and organic dressing is recommended to alternate.
For the cultivation of cucumbers "artist" does not require particularly complex skills, so this variety is not whimsical and perfectly adapts anywhere. In addition, its yield is quite high, and the fruits have a pleasant taste.