Rowan is a tall, winter-hardy tree with bright orange-red fruits. The berries are astringent, bitter in taste, but their appearance attracts a lot of birds, so mountain ash is an excellent protection for other crops. In addition, you can plant and replant wild rowan, dug out of the forest.
Dates of autumn planting
The time of autumn planting is determined by the climate of the area where mountain ash will grow:
- In the central region, the best period will be mid-September - mid-October.
- In southern latitudes, it is best to plant rowan from the beginning of October to the beginning of November.
- In the northern regions, an acceptable period will be the whole of September - the beginning of October.
- Autumn planting is most suitable for Siberia and the Urals, because spring is not stable in these areas, there is a risk of frost or, on the contrary, extreme heat. While autumn flows with a comfortable temperature and enough rainfall.
If planting dates have been missed, then the seedling must be maintained until spring. In this case, use one of the three existing methods:
- Storage in the basement:
- The roots of the seedlings are lowered into a container with wet peat, sand and sawdust.
- The room should be comfortable conditions (air temperature from 0 to +10 degrees and 85-90% humidity)
- Once a week, the root system is additionally moisturized.
- At the site they dig a deep hole and place the seedling roots there at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Then it is instilled using a moist mixture of sand and peat.
- Sapling must be wrapped with a damp cloth and prikopat in this state in the snow. In this case, the temperature will be optimal for him.
Pros and cons of autumn planting
- In the autumn, you can buy seedlings at a reduced price.
- Also during this period, planting material will be fresh, so you can appreciate its health and condition, both foliage and root system.
- Autumn planting will deliver much less hassle, the gardener will be relieved of the need to constantly check the level of soil moisture. All work will be done for him by nature.
- The young trees planted this season will start to grow 2-3 weeks earlier than during spring planting.
- Also, many summer residents are attracted by the prospect of saving time. In the fall, there are not many things left in the garden, which cannot be said about the spring period, when there will be a lot of trouble.
- Because of winter frosts, both the root system and the tree itself can freeze over.
- Also on the health of red rowan can affect the strong wind, which will break off the young twigs.
- Another disadvantage are attacks of rodents, which can damage the tree in late autumn.
How to plant rowan - important rules
In order for the autumn planting to succeed and the mountain ash to settle down in a new place, experienced gardeners recommend sticking to a few basic rules:
- The planting material must be in perfect condition, if the roots begin to curl, then such a tree will take root worse and you need to plant it before the cold weather.
- If the seedling was purchased with a closed root system or a special grid, then they do not need to get rid of.
- When skipping the terms of the autumn planting, it is better to postpone the procedure for the spring period.
- Do not overdo it with the amount of fertilizer applied.
- A small tree must be prepared for the cold.
- It is advisable to tie a rowan planted in the fall to a support so that it does not sway and break during a strong wind.
How to plant rowan in the fall?
Autumn planting is different from the spring in many respects. What would rowan, planted before the onset of cold weather, caught on a new place and grew well, you must adhere to the time-tested rules.
Selection of seedlings
Before you start planting you need to purchase a quality seedling.
- The root system must be hydrated, with no visible damage, with 3-4 main branches and a length of 25-30 centimeters.
- The presence of shriveled bark indicates that the planting material has been dried out.
- The crown should also be well developed, the presence of the main conductor and the main branches is very important.
Sapling preparation for planting:
- Before planting, remove all dry and damaged branches, the same rule applies to the roots of the tree.
- For the best moistening, the root system of the seedling is placed in a clay mash for 2-3 hours.
Selection and preparation of a site for planting or transplanting a tree
Rowan is famous for its unpretentiousness and the ability to settle down on various soils. But in order for the tree to grow and bear fruit better, the following conditions are observed:
- The best option would be loamy or sandy sandy soil.
- The soil should be loose and neutral, drainage from expanded clay is welcomed.
- Rowan loves sunlight very much, so it’s better to choose a shaded area.
- The soil must be well hydrated.
- It is desirable that the groundwater level be below 1.5 meters, but the rowan also suffers a closer location.
Rowan planted at a distance of 4-5 meters from other trees. About 2-3 weeks before planting the seedling, it is necessary to prepare a planting pit, it should be time to infuse.
- The depth of the pit is 40-50 centimeters, the width will depend on the size of the root system of the seedling.
- Topsoil mixed with:
Bucket compost or humus;
150 grams of superphosphate;
300 grams of wood ash.
- The resulting mixture is filled with one third of the pit.
- Then half of it is filled with barren land.
Planting mountain ash in open ground:
- Before planting, a bucket of water is poured into the prepared hole and they wait until it is absorbed.
- Then there is placed a seedling, which must be carefully straighten the roots.
- The root neck should be 5-7 centimeters above ground level.
- When filling the pit, it is recommended to slightly shake the tree in order to fill all air pockets.
- After the mountain ash is planted, the soil around the tree trunk is carefully tamped and watered carefully.
- At the final stage it is necessary to mulch a tree trunk with humus or peat.
Departure after landing
In order for a tree to properly form and grow strong and healthy, you need to properly care for it in the first years of life. To do this, follow these rules:
- The first 2-3 years do not fertilize rowan, because it will have enough nutrients introduced during planting. An exception will be nitrogen fertilizers that stimulate tree growth. They can be made from 2 years of landing.
- During irrigation, 2-3 buckets of water are spent on one rowan. Watering the tree 4-5 times per season, in the presence of heavy summer precipitation, you can leave only spring and autumn watering. After each application of moisture, the ground must be mulched.
- In the autumn, the soil around the trunk is dug up to a depth of 10-15 centimeters. During the whole season, the ground near the tree should be kept clean and loose.
How to prepare red rowan for winter
A newly planted tree will not have time to fully grow stronger before the onset of cold weather, therefore it needs to be helped and managed to survive the cold. To do this, the gardener must perform the following actions:
- Rowan trunk wrapped with burlapafter which the construction is warmed with the help of lapnik.
- The lower part of the trunk needs additional protection, so it needs to be buried with fallen snow and make sure that its quantity does not decrease and does not bare vulnerable areas.
- For, in order to avoid sunburn, the trunk of mountain ash must be whitened.
- Protection from rodents can provide special pesticides, which are scattered around the tree.
How to transplant rowan to a new place correctly?
Now let's talk about how to transplant rowan. If you move trees to a new place, whose age does not exceed 4-5 years, the rules of transplantation will be similar to the rules of the initial planting. The only difference is that when transplanting you need to independently dig up rowan from the ground. In carrying out this procedure, it is worth remembering that this culture has a very extensive root system that cannot be damaged.
As for the transplant of mature trees, such work will be much more difficult:
- The best time is late autumn, when the tree is in a state of biological rest.
- The daytime temperature should be -1-3 degrees, the night temperature can be no less than -15 degrees.
- The height of the tree should not exceed 3 meters, otherwise the transplant will be much more difficult.
- Rowan need to dig very carefully. Initially, a groove is made around the trunk of the tree, with a radius of about 1 meter, then the soil is carefully removed, and large roots must be cut. It is easiest to remove the tree from the pit using levers.
- Earthen clod, formed on the roots, be sure to save, for this it is wrapped with hessian and spread on a thick film or iron sheet. Then in this state the wood is dragged to a new place.
- The landing pit should be 40 centimeters larger than the size of an earthy coma.
- At its bottom make 5-centimeter layers of claydite, soil and snow. This manipulation is repeated 3 times, after which the tree is moved into a hole and carefully buried.
- At the final stage, the soil is tamped and mulched thoroughly.
Autumn planting is the most optimal for rowan. This culture tolerates winter frosts. In addition, trees planted in autumn grow much faster, which means that the harvest can be harvested much earlier.
And at the end we offer to watch a short video about the care of rowan in spring and autumn: